Live-In Caregivers

Live-In Caregiver Program

The Live-In Caregiver Program was a pretty useful immigration system for people looking for a helping hand but as of now, the program has been closed. The federal government is no longer accepting any such applications. For people who’re looking to hire caregivers for kids, elders or specially-abled people need to look for people currently in the country under the same program. It can be a caregiver with a work permit under the Live-in Caregiver Program and looking for a new job. A caregiver seeker will also have to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) ascertaining that the caregiver has agreed to live in your home.

Alternatives to Live-In Caregiver Program

If someone still wants to hire foreign caregivers he/she can do so from:

  • Home Child Care Provider pilot (excluding foster parents)
  • Home Support Worker pilot (excluding housekeepers)

Both programs provide in-house caregivers and can even become a permanent resident. They can apply for permanent residency after completing 2 years of Canadian work experience with provisions of their family members to join them to work or study in Canada.