Federal Skilled Workers

Federal Skilled Worker Program

The Federal Skilled Worker Program falls under the Express Entry Immigration system and is for people with work experience. The program was set up to bring in more skilled workers to compensate for the labour shortage and streamline the process. An applicant must have at least 67 points in the Comprehensive Rating System (CRS) to be considered eligible under the FSW program. And to apply for permanent residency under the FSW program one needs to follow the procedures of Express Entry.

The Federal Skilled Worker Program – Eligibility

As previously mentioned, an applicant is required to attain at least 67 points (cutoff may vary from year to year) to become eligible under the Federal Skilled Worker program. So what are the selection factors?

Skilled Work Experience – This means that an applicant must have worked in at least one of the certified National Occupational Classification (NOC) job groups. These groups are Managerial jobs (skill type 0), Professional jobs (skill level A), Technical jobs and skilled trades (skill level B). Also, the applicant must produce the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. The applicant must also have at least 1 year of continuous work or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week).

Education – If the applicant has done his/her schooling in Canada, then he/she must produce a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary institution or post-secondary institution. But, if the applicant completed his/her schooling outside of the country, then he/she must possess the completed credentials and also an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for immigration purposes from a designated organization.

Language Ability – The applicant must take an approved language test for French or English to prove his/her proficiency in reading, writing, listening, and also speaking. He/she must also secure the minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in every category.

Proof of Funds – The applicant must show that they have enough money for themselves or their family to settle in Canada. Unless:

  • You have a Canadian work permit
  • Possess a job offer from a Canadian employer

If you’re looking to Canada under the Federal Skilled Worker program, Zoom Immigration Services can help you started with the process. For detailed information and you can always talk to one of our experts anytime.